The Sideways Vest is currently blocking, as pictured. What a difference a blocking makes. It’s finally starting to look like a vest. It’s quite thick yarn, and taking a long time to dry. I’m itching for it to dry, so that I can try it on, and see if it really is working the way I want. The plan is to add on armhole ribbing, now that the length is blocked out to the right size. I won’t decide on that definitively, until I’ve tried it on to get a better idea.
Tomorrow is Mother’s Day. Younger DD requested that bacon be available, so I’m expecting bacon and eggs for breakfast. Yum! I’ll take some reading material into the bedroom tonight, so I’m all ready for a leisurely morning, eating and reading. Ah, bliss!
Well, I’ve finished the main part of the vest. Too big around, and too short. This will, theoretically, right itself after blocking. My doubts make me slow down to snail’s pace. I’m forcing myself to go on. I’ve done the calculations for the bands, and am about to launch into them.
I’m almost finished the main part of a sideways boatneck vest I’m working on. The yarn is Cleckheaton Kaleidoscope, which is self striping, producing vertical stripes in this sideways knit. The stitch pattern I’m using is a crossed rib. The main piece is knit all in one piece, starting at the right underarm, and working across the back, then the front and finishing at the right underarm again. I’m planning to do a three needle cast off to finish, instead of seaming.
It looks a bit short and squat at the moment, and that’s for a couple of reasons. Firstly, this stitch pattern, in this yarn at least, grows considerably when washed for the first time, so wet blocking will bring it down to it’s correct length. Secondly, I’m planning on picking up the stitches, top and bottom, to add a rib band. It all seems good in the planning. Fingers crossed that it will all work out as I expect. Wish me luck!