I love/hate Excel

My love/hate relationship with Microsoft Excel is continuing.  I have been periodically complaining about various things:

  • how all those grid lines make the thing hard to look at
  • how the hell did I come up with that figure? (I don’t want to have to click on a cell to see what formula is in there)
  • why can’t I make it be more text focussed with a few figures here and there?

I’ve since been informed that the grid lines can be hidden.  For those that already knew this, well done.  For those slow learners like myself, join me in celebrating!  At last I’m able to make it look the way I want.  I can enter long, descriptive sections which describe exactly what’s going on behind the scenes and I’m not being sent cross eyed by all those grid lines.

So, here’s the difference.  The first screen shot is a section of my spreadsheet with grid lines.

 

The second screen shot is a similar section of my new spreadsheet, without grid lines.  I’ve been able to make it more word focussed, and have added in lovely little blue comments (my choice of colour) to let me know what’s going on behind the scenes.  I do love a bit of documentation, preferably done by someone else.

My lace cashmere pullover is continuing nicely, with minimal hiccups.  Here’s the front, almost completed.  I’d virtually finished the first sleeve, when a calculation error became apparent. Gah!  Just the sleeve cap to redo.  Could be worse.Pullover front, in progress

 

A new pullover design underway

After a few false starts, I’m knitting up my latest pullover design.  My idea is for a lace cashmere turtleneck pullover.  All good in theory, but I’ve stumbled over a few hurdles on the way.  The first lace pattern I tried was strangely arranged so that the sides of the work bulged and increases would be difficult to work out.   On the second, I discovered a discrepancy between the written/charted pattern and the photo provided.  I could’ve solved this, but I couldn’t decide which alternative I preferred.  I finally settled on a third pattern, had done all my design calculations and pattern writing and was halfway through knitting the back, when I realised the increases were too confusing for the average knitter (including myself) to work out.  Rip, rip, rip.  Iteration number four and I found a pattern which I like and which is simple to work increases in.  Hooray!  The yarn I’m using is Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran, which I purchased from Sunspun in Canterbury.

The picture on the right is my tension square, which was worked in camel colour, discovered to be discontinued after purchase!  The back of my pullover so far is in Basil, although it’s difficult to see the difference in these photos.  Since taking these photos, I’m well on my way on the armholes. All is going well.  It may not be apparent from the photo, but I’m shaping from the waist up to the bust, in the attempt to create a more fitted garment.  As I prefer my pullover’s short, to hide as little of my scant lower half as possible, unshaped garments may seem a bit baggy at the waist.  This will hopefully solve that problem.  Every design is an attempt to improve the flaws of the last.  Enjoy your knitting!