After a few false starts, I’m knitting up my latest pullover design. My idea is for a lace cashmere turtleneck pullover. All good in theory, but I’ve stumbled over a few hurdles on the way. The first lace pattern I tried was strangely arranged so that the sides of the work bulged and increases would be difficult to work out. On the second, I discovered a discrepancy between the written/charted pattern and the photo provided. I could’ve solved this, but I couldn’t decide which alternative I preferred. I finally settled on a third pattern, had done all my design calculations and pattern writing and was halfway through knitting the back, when I realised the increases were too confusing for the average knitter (including myself) to work out. Rip, rip, rip. Iteration number four and I found a pattern which I like and which is simple to work increases in. Hooray! The yarn I’m using is Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran, which I purchased from Sunspun in Canterbury.
The picture on the right is my tension square, which was worked in camel colour, discovered to be discontinued after purchase! The back of my pullover so far is in Basil, although it’s difficult to see the difference in these photos. Since taking these photos, I’m well on my way on the armholes. All is going well. It may not be apparent from the photo, but I’m shaping from the waist up to the bust, in the attempt to create a more fitted garment. As I prefer my pullover’s short, to hide as little of my scant lower half as possible, unshaped garments may seem a bit baggy at the waist. This will hopefully solve that problem. Every design is an attempt to improve the flaws of the last. Enjoy your knitting!