I’ve had ideas to design an alpaca lace vest. I’ve knitted up my swatch in Heirloom Alpaca using a Falling Leaf lace pattern. My thought was to have a button up vest, but the size of the multiples doesn’t make that easy. It’s working out to 5.3cm per pattern multiple. For the five sizes I’m planning, that would give 6, 7, 8, 9 or 10 multiples at the waist, and this stitch pattern doesn’t halve very well. For the odd numbers (7 and 9), I could drop one repeat and have 3 or 4 repeats for the left and right front, then make up the dropped repeat with a 5.3cm button band. That’s a pretty wide button band in anyone’s language. For the odd numbers it just wouldn’t work, and I don’t want to limit it to two sizes. That’s just not enough. But I love this stitch pattern in this yarn. What to do? Well, instead of making it a button up vest, I’ve decided it will be a pullover vest, with a scoop neck. I can design another button up vest later on.
However, the vest will have to wait for the moment. In the meantime, I’ve had a request for a Beatles pullover from my youngest. I’ve found a pattern for a Beatles Needle Case on Ravelry. In my collection of magazines I have the pattern for the Quilting a la Knitting pullover, by Norah Gaughan. This pullover is in the shape and yarn weight requested, so I’m just making it in one colour, plonking in the Beatles design at the front and changing the neckline as requested. I find this much stocking stitch pretty boring, but I’ve found a lot of pluses. It’s a lot faster than using a stitch pattern and I can knit for cms without having to refer to the pattern. I’m making great headway. At this rate I should be finished a lot sooner than I estimated, so it will hopefully get plenty of winter wear. (Southern hemisphere). 🙂 The yarn I’m using is Cleckheaton Country Aran, which is the same yarn that I used for the Kinematics Scarf, but this time in the cream colourway.