Post holiday return to knitting

 

It’s great to take photos to appreciate the big picture look of the piece.¬† It’s revealing itself to be a lovely, timeless pullover/sweater, and a knitting pattern will be available when test knitting has confirmed all the lovely details.

If you like it please share it.

A new lovely timeless knitting pattern

_MG_0741

The West-Northwest Pullover can now been seen on the Pullovers and Cardigans page.

It was one of those designs where I was wondering, “Am I crazy to be doing this?”.¬† For some reason, these always end up to be my favourites.¬† It’s worked in a¬†4ply/Fingering yarn and covered in small rib, cables and twist stitches, hence my doubts about my own state of mind.¬† And of course a collar, which is so simple but transforms it to another level.¬† The outcome is so worth it.¬† I love the vintage look that I ended up with!

If you like it, please tweet it.

In The Sky With Diamonds Pullover pattern now available

The pattern for my new In The Sky With Diamonds Pullover is now available.
It’s a fitted, textured pullover with cabled and bobble sleeves and a Cowl collar, in alpaca and merino.
The length is to around the hip bone. The pullover is shaped from the waist to the bust.
The yarn used is Misti Alpaca Tonos Worsted.¬† The colour I’ve used here is Impossiblue – TW12.¬† It’s a gorgeous soft warm yarn.¬† I’m so looking forward to wearing this pullover.¬† My aim of designing a pullover with a cowl collar has been acheived.¬† I love collars.

In The Sky With Diamonds
In The Sky With Diamonds

In The Sky With Diamonds Pullover

Knitting Pattern

Yarn Suggested: Misti Alpaca Tonos Worsted or any other 10ply/Worsted yarn. 100gm balls, 199m (218 yds)
Gauge:22.5 stitches and 30.5 rows = 4 inches in Raspberry Stitch
Needle Size: 4.5mm
Meterage: 1367 – 3565 yards (1250 – 3260 m)
Sizes Available: 74 (84, 94, 104, 114)cm¬† 29¬ľ¬† (33, 37, 41, 45) in
This pattern is available to buy from Ravelry for $US 6.25

Pullover sleeves chugging along

The sleeves for my cowl collared pullover are coming along nicely.¬† The first one is finished and here is a photo of the second one, underway.¬† It’s hard to get a true picture of the colour.¬† This distance seemed to work better.¬† When I tried to fill the photo with the work, it looked more grey than blue.¬† It’s a mystery to me.¬† I’m keen to finish the sleeves and get it all sewn up so I can get onto the collar.¬† That’s the whole purpose of this exercise.¬† It’s a good exercise in patience and a good motivation for keeping on going. 

Sleeve
Sleeve

 

10 ply Alpaca/Merino in the middle of summer?

My cowl collared pullover is continuing nicely.¬† I’ve been keen to see the diffence of the appearance of the tone on tone yarn colours in the stocking stitch/cable sleeves in comparison to the very textured front/back.¬† That’s partly apparent from my tension squares (swatches), but it’s good to see some finished pieces to see what it really looks like.

Here’s the completed back and the almost finished front.¬† You can see what I meant about the colour change at the top of the back.¬† I’d rather see this at the top or bottom, as it is, than as a band in the middle of a piece, so it’s working out OK. Both pieces were photographed on the same spot with the same lighting.¬† Who know’s what the camera was doing?¬† Not me!

Back
Back

 

Front
Front

I was OK with doing p3 togs all through every fourth row, but I’m happy to be onto the sleeves, which are stocking stitch, with a cable up the middle.¬† There’s a bit less concentration required. ūüôā

As for knitting in the middle of summer, we seem to be having a high 30’s day once a week, rather than an ongoing heatwave in other parts of the country, so the house hasn’t been heating up day after day.¬† So the knitting continues.¬† And I’ll have a lovely warm pullover to wear when summer is over. Yay!

A new pullover design underway

After a few false starts, I’m knitting up my latest pullover design.¬† My idea is for a lace cashmere turtleneck pullover.¬† All good in theory, but I’ve stumbled over a few hurdles on the way.¬† The first lace pattern I tried was strangely arranged¬†so that the sides of the work bulged and increases would be difficult to work out.¬†¬† On¬†the second, I discovered a discrepancy between the written/charted pattern and the photo provided.¬† I could’ve¬†solved this, but I couldn’t decide which alternative I preferred.¬† I finally settled on a third pattern, had done all my design calculations and pattern writing and was halfway through knitting the back, when I realised the increases were too confusing for the average knitter (including myself) to work out.¬† Rip, rip, rip.¬† Iteration number four and I found a pattern which I like and which is simple to work increases in.¬† Hooray!¬† The yarn I’m using is Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran, which I purchased from Sunspun in Canterbury.

The picture on the right is my tension square, which was worked in camel colour, discovered to be discontinued after purchase!¬† The back of my pullover so far is in Basil, although it’s difficult to see the difference in these photos.¬† Since taking these photos, I’m well on my way on the armholes. All is going well.¬† It may not be apparent from the photo, but I’m shaping from the waist up to the bust, in the attempt to create a more fitted garment.¬† As I prefer my pullover’s short, to hide as little of my scant lower half as possible, unshaped garments may seem a bit baggy at the waist.¬† This will hopefully solve that problem.¬† Every design is an attempt to improve the flaws of the last.¬† Enjoy your knitting!