You can’t beat the appeal of a classic cable in a classic vintage style, v neck vest. It just never goes out of style! Using the beautifully light and warm Juniper Moon Farm Patagonia Organic Merino it’s a match made in heaven. This lovely cable stitch even has tiny little cables within the larger ones, so there’s the chunky look of the larger cable, with more details to delight, on a closer viewing!
Churchill Island is an historic island, connected to Phillip Island in Victoria, Australia. The historic house and farm buildings still remain, along with animals including the gorgeous Highland Cows. I can imagine residents of the island wearing a vest like this to go about their daily tasks in years gone by.
The vest is easy to wear, easy to move in, warm and light.
A fitted, cable and twist stitch patterned, hip bone length vest with a V neck and some shaping from waist to bust, in Merino, using Juniper Moon Farm Patagonia Organic Merino which Sunspun Yarns currently stock in a lovely range of 29 colours. There’s bound to be a colour that takes your fancy in subdued earthy tones, or something to make more of a splash.
Size inclusive, this is available for sizes 29 inch to 57 inch bust.
It needs 2 (2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 5) skeins of 382 yards each.
We’re having a very out-of-routine few weeks at the moment, so very little is getting done on the knitting front. As I’d already picked up the stitches for an armhole for the Virgo Vest one evening, I managed to knit the armhole band in the car yesterday. So, as you can see, I have the neck band and one armhole band completed. Don’t hold your breath, but I’ll get there in the end.
I’m already thinking about what I’m going to design when this vest is completed. The plan is for a small lace bag (what is it with me and lace?) worked in a cotton/linen blend. When on a trip into town on Monday, I visited Clegs on the off chance that I’d find the sort of thing I was after. Having failed in my search on their website, due no doubt to my lack of skills, while wandering the shelves I managed to find some Katia Linen. “Ooooh!”, I exclaimed, and purchased it at once. Stay tuned for further updates.
My alpaca lace vest is nearing completion. The front an back are both finished and are currently blocking. Here is a picture of the back before blocking. It looks rather crumpled here, but the blocking is doing it wonders.
Tonight, I’ll be able to sew it together and measure up to calculate the required stitches for the neck band and armhole bands. Now to see if I have the right sized circular needle for the bands! The yarn is a little fuzzy, so I wasn’t sure how well the pattern would be visible, but it looks fine in this photo.
It’s great that it’ll be ready for Southern Hemisphere Spring wear, and Northern Hemisphere Autumn/Fall wear. A win for everybody!!
I’ve had ideas to design an alpaca lace vest. I’ve knitted up my swatch in Heirloom Alpaca using a Falling Leaf lace pattern. My thought was to have a button up vest, but the size of the multiples doesn’t make that easy. It’s working out to 5.3cm per pattern multiple. For the five sizes I’m planning, that would give 6, 7, 8, 9 or 10 multiples at the waist, and this stitch pattern doesn’t halve very well. For the odd numbers (7 and 9), I could drop one repeat and have 3 or 4 repeats for the left and right front, then make up the dropped repeat with a 5.3cm button band. That’s a pretty wide button band in anyone’s language. For the odd numbers it just wouldn’t work, and I don’t want to limit it to two sizes. That’s just not enough. But I love this stitch pattern in this yarn. What to do? Well, instead of making it a button up vest, I’ve decided it will be a pullover vest, with a scoop neck. I can design another button up vest later on.
However, the vest will have to wait for the moment. In the meantime, I’ve had a request for a Beatles pullover from my youngest. I’ve found a pattern for a Beatles Needle Case on Ravelry. In my collection of magazines I have the pattern for the Quilting a la Knitting pullover, by Norah Gaughan. This pullover is in the shape and yarn weight requested, so I’m just making it in one colour, plonking in the Beatles design at the front and changing the neckline as requested. I find this much stocking stitch pretty boring, but I’ve found a lot of pluses. It’s a lot faster than using a stitch pattern and I can knit for cms without having to refer to the pattern. I’m making great headway. At this rate I should be finished a lot sooner than I estimated, so it will hopefully get plenty of winter wear. (Southern hemisphere). 🙂 The yarn I’m using is Cleckheaton Country Aran, which is the same yarn that I used for the Kinematics Scarf, but this time in the cream colourway.